PARIS (AFP) — Lance Armstrong, who claimed he was not playing games with organisers on his Tour de France participation next year, has revealed he will race in some spring classics but not Paris-Roubaix.
The seven-time Tour de France winner announced his comeback to cycling after a three-year hiatus earlier this year but in recent weeks has placed doubts on bidding to win an eighth yellow jersey.
The 37-year-old American appeared to snub Tour bosses last month when he announced he would definitely race next year's Giro d'Italia, which he would do so for the first time.
"I want to say that I am not trying to be coy. I am not playing games with them (Tour de France organisers), with the fans, the media. I simply don't know and I am not in a hurry to decide." Armstrong told internet site cyclingnews.com on Wednesday.
"I am realistic about a lot of things when it comes to the Tour and I know there is tension between the French fans, French media and certainly with the organizers.
"And I don't want to deal with it now or perhaps even in July. I don't think we are all going to sit around and sing 'Kumbayah'.
"So, I have to find this balance of 'Do I want to try to go for an eighth Tour or help the team win a Tour' or 'Do I want to help further the international cancer campaign' and all this over the animosity that exists."
Armstrong, who earlier this year said he would return in the Tour Down Under in January and then the Tour of California the following month, added: "I am going to Italy (Giro), Tour of Flanders, all the classics of cycling (except Paris-Roubaix), Tour of California, Criterium International, Circuit de la Sarthe.
"But I don't want it to appear as if we are playing games with them (Tour organisers) or the fans. It is simply not a decision we are ready to make."
Copyright © 2013 AFP. All rights reserved. More »