MADRID (AFP) — Football's world governing body FIFA is in talks with authorities in Brazil about staging the 2010 World Cup there should South Africa be unable to host the event, a Spanish sports newspaper claimed on Thursday.
"The South American country, which was chosen to organise the World Cup in 2014, has become the first option if South Africa is not able to organise" the 2010 edition, the sports newspaper AS said.
"FIFA has informed the South African government of its decision to consult the (Brazilian Football Federation) on the possibility of organising the next two tournaments," it said, without indicating its sources.
South African organisers remain confident of the nation's readiness for the first football World Cup to be held on the continent, despite delays in the construction of stadia.
But FIFA President Sepp Blatter admitted last month that he has a Plan B organised should the country be unable to host the event.
"I would be quite negligent as president if I did not have a Plan B tucked away at the back of a drawer," he said.
"But only a natural disaster would make it active," he added, pushing aside doubts over security and possible construction delays.
Copyright © 2013 AFP. All rights reserved. More »