WASHINGTON (AFP) — Two detainees were transferred out of the US military detention facility in Guantanamo, Cuba, one to Tajikistan and the other to Kazakhstan, the Department of Defense announced Friday.
The detainees "were determined to be eligible for transfer following a comprehensive series of review processes," the Pentagon said in a statement, without identifying the two.
"The transfer is a demonstration of the United States' desire not to hold detainees any longer than necessary," the Pentagon said.
It said that "approximately" 255 detainees remain at the Guantanamo war-on-terror internment camp, and that 60 of them had been determined eligible for transfer or release.
"Departure of these detainees is subject to ongoing discussions between the United States and other nations," it said.
Since 2002, 520 detainees have been transferred out of Guantanamo to at least 30 countries.
Copyright © 2013 AFP. All rights reserved. More »